Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy 2009!

Ah, 2009. We are now officially into my 30th year (calendar-wise, anyway). Craziness. I hope the new year brings wonderful things to all of you. I have absolutely no doubt that great things are coming to me. :)

Alas, it is time for an update on The List. One such item was to quit smoking by my 30th. A couple of weeks ago I began taking Chantix. It is a stop smoking drug that blocks nicotine from getting to the brain. Essentially that means that you can't derive any pleasure from smoking. Well apparently that is true. I haven't quit completely but the number of cigarettes I smoke in a day is down 75%! Who would have guessed! The only side effects I'm really experiencing are vivid dreams (nothing upsetting, just constant dreams all night long all of which I remember when I wake up) and nausea for 30-60 minutes after I take the medicine. It's manageable and I'm learning how much I need to eat prior to taking it to offset the nausea. All in all, I'm extremely pleased and am doing my part to break the habit of smoking which is separate from the urge. I just need to see this through.

Adam came down with a cold overnight. Alcohol can help exacerbate these things so hopefully he's back in tip top shape sooner rather than later. School starts again on the 5th!

And speaking of school, the comprehensive exam starts on Monday. Week one will be spent writing my goal statement and the actual exam will start sometime during week two. 28 days to write responses to 3 questions totaling 50 pages. I thought it was 35 days but goes to show how I don't know what the hell is going on. Let's hope I can make it through and pass on the first try!

2 comments:

  1. Happy 2009! I believe this is the Year of Luopa - at least according to my Chinese restaurant astrology map. It's going to be a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the quitting smoking stuff! Sounds like you're on the right track. I'm so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete