Monday, August 24, 2009

Public Transportation

Most of us undoubtedly have pretty good stories of unsavory or just plain not-quite-there characters on public transportation. I have a few. There was the tram between concourses in Paris where the guy sitting next to my sister-in-law smelled like a farm. Really, he encapsulated every stereotype surrounding Parisian hygiene. Or, there was the time while riding the light rail that I got invited to "take it outside" by a young "lady" because I took exception to her spitting the shells of her sunflower seeds on the train floor.

Today, I had another such experience. Unfortunately everyday downtown I witness numerous men and women who are homeless and wander the streets stealing spent cigarette butts and some cover from the rain and sun. Most of these individuals are also mentally impaired in some way. The majority of those keep to themselves and you may once in awhile hear them muttering to themselves but you can't quite make out what they're saying. And that's okay because I, like most people, would rather not hear it anyway. This morning, my bus arrived downtown and turned onto Nicollet. At the very first stop, a middle-aged gentleman boarded the bus. I'm relatively certain by the stories he was telling that he is homeless albeit one of the cleanest homeless individuals I have encountered downtown. He proceeded to speak at top volume so all on the double-length bus could hear his story. He just left the mission because his girlfriend kicked him out. She was upset because he couldn't keep it up. *insert requisite chuckle here* He then proceeded to ask everyone on the bus if they wanted some of the food he got from the food shelf. As he held up some canned ham he remarked that he didn't know why they give him this stuff since he has nowhere to cook it, damn it! Fo sho. During his harmless and funny diatribe, the bus driver kept chiding him saying "let's not disturb everyone on the bus" to which he'd reply "yes, ma'am" and continue with his story. All in all, he was actually quite a happy guy.

When I was standing at the front of the bus as it pulled up to my stop, the bus driver bid me good day and I said the same. She then apologized to me. I can only assume she was apologizing for the man who entertained me for 5 blocks. Of course I told her not to worry. No harm, no foul. But it got me to thinking. It's unfortunate that this display is embarrassing and inconvenient for those of us who work 9-5, pay a mortgage, and help our kids with homework. It's sad that the bus driver felt the need to apologize to me for another individual...one who she doesn't know, certainly has no control over, and generally was not a problem.

So while I still chuckle 12 hours after the fact, I continue to think about that lonely man who likely just wanted a friend or two to listen to his story and care. I think about the quiet woman who carries 3-4 bags around downtown with her everyday and quietly picks through the ash trays looking for a trace of tobacco. Or the slightly scary guy who showers twice a year and sports an impressive mass of hair atop his head that progressively starts to look like moldy cheese.

I should probably do more. But I'm awfully comfortable in my house thankful for what I have.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. Of course, in Central Minnesota such a man would be met with a chorus of "Send him back!" Send him back where, I'm not certain. But any time there is an unsavory person in our midst, Central Minnesotans start talking about sending them back. Minnesota Nice, indeed.

    ReplyDelete