Monday, October 6, 2008

My dog...the one who stops loving me 6 days a month

So I have the most adorable puppy in the world. He was, in truth, the bestest birthday present I ever did get! He was the runt of the litter but I immediately wanted to bring him home. He was pretty docile in that little pen with his brothers and sisters. He swaggered over to us and gave a couple kisses. Then he sat and just looked up at us. I'm convinced to this very day that he wasn't sure what to make of those two legged dogs on the other side of the pen. As his brothers and sisters jumped and barked and leapt over him as he sat, he continued to just stare. Occasionally, he'd cock his head and try to figure out why our barks were so different. I scooped him up and brought him home talking nonstop and happily over MY new puppy. MINE. From day one I was adamant with my dear husband of how this dog was MINE and he would love me BEST. And that was true. Once we brought him home over the course of the first few days, he opened up and started to figure out what life was like in a home. And we showered one another with affection.

And then Dante came over.

Zeus...the big one...was always Adam's dog. Continues to be Adam's dog. And he loves me...no doubt about that. But if the house was burning while we slept and he could only wake one of us up, it would be Adam. Not even Dante. Because truth be told, Zeus isn't big on kids. Never has been. He tolerates them and will even cuddle on occasion and is certainly kind. But if given the choice, there would never be a child anywhere near him. He's just not into be harassed and having his tail and ears pulled. I don't understand why.

But Tuck. Well, Tuck loves kids. Loves that they squeak and run around aimlessly. Loves that they wrestle with him, play with his rope, and pet him incessantly. When Dante comes over every two weeks for 3 days at a time, he is in heaven. And I am chopped liver. And that my friends, is the point of this story. For 6 days a month, Tuck stops loving me. I don't get kisses or cuddles anymore. He doesn't crawl up and into my lap but instead, jumps into Dante's to play, to cuddle, to maul. And when Dante leaves at the end of those 3 days, he crawls into my lap to sleep.

And I always let him.

2 comments:

  1. If you didn't love him so much I'd say your only option was to get rid of Dante. But . . . your human emotions outweigh logic so suffer. Being second choice is still better than not being chosen at all . . . sniffle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe so but it's still incredibly sad and makes me wonder if I should be eating boy or dog for dinner.

    ReplyDelete