Friday, June 26, 2009

The dumbing down of the world

Some call me the spelling and grammar Nazi (won't it be awesome if you find spelling and/or grammar errors in reading this post?). I believe email, text messaging, Twitter, Facebook, and other communication mediums are, in essence, creating an entire generation of lazy asses. Mind you, I partake in all of the above (save for Twitter since really, you all get enough of my thoughts via the blog or Facebook) but I do so with complete and coherent sentences. If I make a typo in my FB status, and notice after publishing it, I will go back and change it because I just can't let it sit out on the interwebs when it's incorrect. I feel like it makes me look like a complete moron and I know that it does because, well, that's what I think about everybody else.

Case in point. This morning I was schooled. Schooled by a drunk. When I informed her that her FB status didn't make sense, she informed me that I needed to be there to get it. No, no I didn't. instead of "is", she typed "4s." THE '4' KEY ISN'T EVEN BY THE 'I' KEY!!!

I'm a judgmental prick. What can I say?

2 comments:

  1. I love that you're a prick :)
    I often have this debate in my head. And then I think about how those who spoke Elizabethan English must feel about our usage.
    Language is such a fluid thing and we are on the cusp of yet another massive change in the entire structure. Text speak had invaded and has infiltrated and there needs to be a healthy shepherding but we will not win this war.

    Whan that Aprill, with his shoures soote
    The droghte of March hath perced to the roote
    And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
    Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
    Whan Zephirus eek with his sweete breeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, Jenny made me confused.

    Anyway... Judge away pretty lady. I'm all about the judging!

    ReplyDelete