Sunday, April 5, 2009

Pack before moving. Please.

Yesterday was moving day for the in laws. Notorious pack rats, M&P had a lot of stuff to move. Patricia was out of town on vacation with a friend so the moving team was headed up by Michael and made up of Sean, Lindy, Adam, myself, Dante (age 10), and Jasmine (age 15).

Lindy and I spent the entire first half of the day packing the kitchen, bathroom, closets, and office. The guys loaded the truck with those boxes, most of the big furniture, and tried to make a dent in the garage. The garage, coincidentally, was already packed for the most part...from when they moved to SLP (St. Louis Park) back in '95. Note: if you haven't opened a box in 14 years, you probably don't need it.

We finally quit packing and loading 4 hours in. We did not, by any means, empty the house. I'd say we got about half of their stuff into the 24' truck. We stopped for lunch and then headed out with a quick stop to let the puppies do their bidness.

Unloading the truck commenced by everyone slightly rejuvenated and working pretty quickly to try and get the stuff off the truck so that we could head back to SLP and do it again. We all started to slow down a little bit and soon Sean and Lindy had to head home to let Charlie do his bidness. At that point things got a bit hairy. I found out that at least 1/3 of the boxes we moved were garbage per Michael's assessment but since he didn't have a chance to go through them, we had to move them. Therefore we were to put them into the garage where they would be closer to the garbage can. Oy. Then Adam wrenched his back due to the fact that there was a shortage of communication between him and Michael while moving a mattress. Then the executive decision was made to put the remaining boxes in the garage instead of carrying them to their respective rooms. Unfortunately he didn't tell us where in the garage so they ended up getting mixed up with the throw away stuff.

Eventually we finished the first load at 8pm....11 hours after we started. No, we did not get a second load transferred last night. So now we're going to help Michael some night this week when he rents another truck.

Oh, and did I mention that we're moving in 3 weeks time?

5 comments:

  1. OMG - I'm trying not to laugh but it's just not possible . . . . what a horror

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you were trying to be diplomatic about everything, but my side of the wrenched back story needs to be shared.

    We (my father and I) lifted their pillow-top queen-sized mattress from the truck, and started moving towards their bedroom. Kris was placed in the middle, to help maintain the vertical alignment.

    My father continuously changed directions, travel speeds, and carrying heights without notification to me... which I proceeded to call out would be helpful information to have. I didn't specifically ask him to let me know when things were changing, but I didn't think I had to.

    Halfway to the house, my father needed to set the mattress down to take a short breather and adjust his grip. I left the thing propped on my thigh, so I wouldn't have to bend over again to lift it up.

    While it was just resting on my leg, with Kris between it and a three-foot tall retaining wall, my father decides that break time is over, and lifts the mattress whilst pulling towards the house... which drags the thing off my leg and begins to tilt it precariously towards my loving and helpful wife, who is now about to be crushed between a heavy mattress, and an unyielding stone barrier.

    So I did what any devoted husband would do... I caught the entire thing (which happened to fall out of my father's hands with the sudden tipping) and made damn sure my bride didn't end up as a pancake.

    The result? The removal of any further use I could have been to the emptying of the moving truck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Adam also should have shared was that I saw the mattress falling towards me and lifted my hands to catch it. Therefore his chivalry was for naught. But it was quite wonderful of him nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww the damsel doesn't need saving but it's nice to know it's there . . . what a sweet sweet story of misaligned expectations and vertebra

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really can't say I envy this experience. When I move I normally wind up wanting to burn a lot of stuff. This is the perfect example of why.

    ReplyDelete