Saturday, August 23, 2008

The incredible sewing experience

With Adam working at the Rennaissance Festival every weekend, it is important that he still get to spend time with Dante on those weekends he is with us. In order to allow for both (at the request of Dante as well, mind you) it was decided that Dante needed a costume. You see, you can't sit in the booth without a costume. Well, in my opinion costumes are extremely expensive out at the festival. Enter the internet pattern. Adam decides that he is going to sew a tunic for Dante. Here are just a few tidbits from the experience that made me laugh SO HARD.
  • Upon taking Dante's measurements and utilizing the online form for the pattern, Adam announces that we need 67 yards of fabric. For a tunic. For a 9 year old boy.
  • Knowing it will pose a challenge, I thread the machine for him. I mean, the man hasn't used a sewing machine since Home Ec and the pillow-making assignment.
  • While I'm threading, Adam is cutting fabric. Not with a round pizza-like cutter (to ensure straight lines) or even along a straight-edge. My husband is using regular scissors with a measuring tape sitting across the table. You don't need me to tell you how those pieces looked when he was finished.
  • Shortly into sewing, I hear "It broke" in the most forlorn and mouse-like voice ever. Upon checking it out, I discover the thread came out of the needle and the machine needs to be re-threaded. This is also the point in time that I discover that Adam has forgotten how to sew two pieces of fabric together. Instead of placing one on top of the other, he is sewing them together much like an open book. Proceed to seam ripping and re-do.
  • Later, things are quiet and so I decide to just peek in. I see Adam, sitting in front of the sewing machine, and slowly taking it apart. It appears that the thread from the bobbin is no longer outside of the machine and he felt it was probably necessary to take apart the bottom of the machine in order to fix this. 15 minutes later, and the pieces put back together, I'm able to pull the bobbin thread back out. This is where I decide that I will do the sewing.

All in all, the tunic is a piece of crap. No really. It's longer in the front than it is in the back and based on how the pieces were cut and then sewn, that means there's bunching right around Dante's chest. The sleeves are magically long enough (just barely) too.

I'm not sure how long Dante wore it today. They both claim that he did.

If nothing else, I believe my husband has greater appreciation for my quilting efforts.

And I got an ab workout from all of the laughter. :)

2 comments:

  1. Can I just say how much joy this gave me? I don't even know Dante but the idea of this kid wandering around looking like a mis-sewn street urchin made me happy. Though I'm sure it didn't really look that bad.

    ReplyDelete