Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Grammar/Punctuation/Spelling Nazi

Perhaps I've written this post before and if so, I apologize. It's just that it is so prevalent in my consciousness that I can't seem to block it out! You know what I'm talking about. You know someone...maybe it's you (but I doubt it)...who either can't or won't spell anything correctly. I've said it before and I'll say it again, but email and text messaging are the downfall of the English language.

It's painful to read. All I want to do is hide you (Facebook) or not respond to you. If you don't put forth the effort, then I have to believe that you don't have much respect for me as the reader of your drivel. Now that we're in our 30's, I don't believe that you honestly think that dropping your g's is cool (e.g., goin). And this is all made more upsetting if you are a teacher...my God...what chance does our younger generation have when YOU are the one teaching them??? And if you're an English teacher? Well, I just need to go lie down.

Here's the thing. I don't expect perfection. Typos, an occasional misspelled word, etc....they are common amongst the most intelligent people. I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about the individuals who think this is a coherent, intelligent sentence:

"feelin a chest cold commin on so powerwalked it this mornin 2 miles."
OR
"Was, all the same who remotely even during real decided to even use would like the volatile view rather making to go you?"

If you care that little about how you present yourself in written word, then knock yourself out. However, I can't help but think you're a tool.

1 comment:

  1. WTF, I LOL'ed at that last "example" i Mean who could any 1 be so stupid it was like 1 big runon sentance! its ilke those peeps ain't even connected w/realty.

    :o) Needless to say, I concur.

    ReplyDelete